At Illustrate Digital we are looking to extend our internal team with local freelance designers who are looking to work on exciting projects for a fast growing agency. Experience in working with WordPress is non-essential for this freelance role, however some experience of how your designs will be applied to a content management system will be required.
You need to have solid experience with creating user journeys, user flow and user interfaces, as well as using Sketch and InVision as design tools to design with.
This is a freelance position and so work times are flexible and negotiable, as is your rate depending on experience.
Ideal Knowledge, Attitudes and Abilities
The best candidate for this freelance role would have a real hunger for building the best websites you can and have a passion (even if a small one) for WordPress. Conducting research, producing moodboards, as well as designing wireframes and mockups in small, medium, large and extra large formats for cross-device compatibility will be essential to giving the development team the best chance for success when your work is handed over.
You must be able to design as part of a team and communicate well using communication tools. Our chosen communication tool is Slack and this is where you will conduct your main conversations with the team. Since the work will always be handed over to an internal team this will mean solid style guide creation, tidy workflow and a good logic behind the work you’re producing that can be explained to another designer, as well as to the development team or client if needed.
You should be willing to positively engage with a team who are looking for the best for our clients and each other. We are a fun team who love nothing more than to push each other forward so expect a friendly and challenging working environment.
- Good knowledge of UX, UI and UJ.
- Use of Sketch and InVision design software.
- At least 2 years UX design experience with a solid portfolio of work.
- Experienced and proficient with responsive design.
- Love to build efficient and design files that can be worked on by more than just yourself.
- Good communication skills.
- Great attention to detail and ability to manage you own time well.
- Local freelancers only, as we’ll need to meet infrequently to keep communication and relationship strong.
Perks & Fun Stuff
- Freelancers are allowed to work from the Illustrate Digital space in Cardiff Bay, if there are desks available.
- Free tea and Nespresso coffee in-house.
- Lunch Club on Fridays (team lunch out in The Bay).
Opportunities for Employment
We’re a growing digital agency, which means there will plenty of opportunities opening up for future growth. Many of our past freelancers have become full time team members and so if you think you’d like to take up this sort of offer in the future then it’s good to know we’ll consider it, especially if we’re producing great work together!
How To Apply
Please submit a short introductory letter explaining how you think you would fit into the freelance role, along with some examples of your recent work. Please be honest and write openly about who you are and what you can do.